Thursday, August 2, 2007

A New World Barista Champion

Just got back to my hotel here in Tokyo after crowning the new World Barista Champion 2007: James Hoffmann from the UK. His performance was excellent and he did way better in the final round than in the preliminaries. He features a single origin espresso from Costa Rica, used a straight Kenyan in his cappuccinos and mixed the two blends after brewing for his signature drink. James is a really nice guy, whom I've been fortunate enough to spend some time with in the last year. I am so happy he's the new champion and I'm sure he'll do extremely well.
If you wanna see more detailed reports from the WBC got to zacharyzachary.com. They have done an outstanding job of updating live from the competition floor and back room.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Klaus,

The weight lifts from your shoulders to another worthy champion.You have been a great WBC champion and I am sure that James will follow suit. Sit down with him and give his some good advise once the celebrations die down!

Unknown said...

Gary, I couldn't agree more. Klaus, you have been such an outstanding champion, and have set a high standard for what a WBC champ can accomplish for the betterment of the coffee industry. I'm so proud you're my friend.

And I'm so excited about James winning! Like you, he is humble, gracious, generous, whip-smart, and so much fun to be around. He deserves the title 100%.

Big hugs to you all,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Hey Klaus, well, I guess I must admit you really were a hell of a WBC Champion, and you've been a super ambasssador for the barista community and coffee. I mostly excited though to learn that our gracious Japanese hosts have allowed you to take the coffee bean costume home so you can continue to frighten, I mean entertain, children and baristas around the world.

Seriously, though, great job this last year (or 14 months!). You've done a tremendous job on behalf of baristas and coffee professionals everywhere.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the comments. It has been a great 14 months for sure and I can only wish for James to have the same experience. I know he will do very well.

 
'